The Temiskaming Hospital Foundation, as part of its Care Close To Home campaign, held its 5th Annual Valentine’s Day Radiothon on Saturday, February 9th, 2019 from 9:00 am until 2:00 pm on 104.5 CJTT FM Radio.
Throughout the day, we had hourly draws and donors had a chance to win gift cards from local restaurants including Ali’s Grill & Bar, Rooster’s Bar & Grill, Café Meteor Bistro, Zah Pizzeria, Zantes Bar & Grill, and The Pantry / The Market Eatery. These gift cards were graciously donated by these local businesses.
The Temiskaming Hospital provides obstetrical services for the district that includes the area from Kirkland Lake to Temagami, including Englehart and our hospital delivers over 300 babies per year.
This year, the Care Close To Home campaign’s Valentine’s Day Radiothon raised money for the purchase of Infant Care Beds. These beds are critical to the care of newborns, especially those who are high risk. The new infant care beds;
- Are now designed with state of the art modern medical technologies and are the new worldwide standard in infant care and resuscitation.
- Many new options allow Nurses to perform resuscitation or primary infant care, easily and conveniently.
- Four simple settings run the resuscitator automatically and are adjustable based on the clinical needs of the infant and situation.
- Fast heating element provides complete and even heating for the infant.
- An integrated in-bed scale makes weighing baby quick and easy.
- Provides tools for resuscitation therapy with optional integrated oxygen monitoring.
- An integrated resuscitation system allows minimal setup time for high-risk deliveries.
- Resuscitation protocols are standardized across the obstetrical care area ensuring the highest level of care at any time.
The previous 4 years of the Radiothon have raised $145,560 for the hospital and we have used that money to purchase a new ultrasound machine, a new mechanical ventilator and an upgraded pulmonary function testing Lab.
The Radiothon would not be possible without the help of our volunteers and those who provided Testimonials such as Obstetrics Registered Nurse Gail Bennett, Obstetrical Physician Dr. Nichole Currie, midwives Paule Corneil and Kim Cloutier-Holtz. Thank you to McDonald’s and Chartrand’s Your Independent Grocer who donated snacks, drinks and lunches to power our great volunteers through to the finish line!
Twenty-one volunteers included hospital employees, community members and Board Members, working the phone lines, updating records and on the radio, to help pull this off. Jack Morin, Darcy Griffith, Peter and Sharron Graydon, Dr. Jim Brookfield, Al Willard, Mike McArthur, Janet MacDowall, Richard Males and Mike Baker worked the radio waves for the 5-hour event.
Due to the district coverage of Temiskaming Hospital’s obstetrical program, The Train radio station in Englehart and CJKL covered the event as a news story. A special thank you to CJTT who coordinated and hosted the event. Finally, thank you to a great community for donating $22,480 during the Radiothon.