Permanent Full-Time Health Records Technician / Coder
Temiskaming Hospital is a 59-bed fully accredited community hospital located in Temiskaming Shores, Ontario. We are currently accepting resumes for a permanent full-time Health Records Technician / Coder. The successful candidate will be a graduate of a Medical Secretarial course and possess a Health Information Management Certificate recognized by CHIMA.
· Community College Graduate of a Medical Office Administration course
· Graduate of Health Information Management Certificate Program recognized by CHIMA
· Active Certified member in good standing with the Canadian Health Information Management Association (CHIMA)
· Must be able to meet Canadian Institute of Health Information and Ministry of Health deadlines
· Must be able to type 80 words per minute error free
· Must be proficient in Microsoft Word, SAP Crystal Reports and Excel
· Must have an excellent work record, including attendance
· Must demonstrate a commitment to ensure your safety, the safety of fellow workers, patients, volunteers and visitors
· Must support and contribute to a culture of safety and prevention of adverse health events in this organization
· Experience as a Health Records Technician
· Experience as a transcriptionist in a hospital or related health care facility is preferred
· Ability to work under pressure and conditions of frequent interruptions
· Possesses communications skills, both written and verbal in English and French
· Code diagnoses and treatment procedures using the International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems and Canadian Classification of Health Interventions (ICD-10-CA & CCI), adhering to the Canadian Coding Standards
· Reviews and distributes inpatient and outpatient charts to doctor’s boxes for completion and performs subsequent checking for completeness of these charts.
· Ensures quality assurance and accuracy of coding.
· Networks with similar coding personnel for mutual benefit and support.
· Provides support to Team Leader in collecting daily information for GI Endo project and Discharge Summary Project.
· Reviews/stores CIHI statistical reports and distributes as required.
· Abstracts and submits MOHLTC and CIHI mandated data using WinRecs Med2020 program following weekly, monthly, and quarterly deadlines.
· Collects and prepares data for monthly Utilization Report for Senior Leadership.
· Prepares month-end reports for Discharge Abstract Database (DAD) and National Ambulatory Care Reporting System (NACRS).
· Attends education workshops/web conferences to keep up to date with current coding practices as well as to meet CPE requirements to maintain CHIMA certification.
· Maintains confidentiality of patient information. Releases information in accordance with provincial legislation and hospital policy.
· Provides backup for Team Leader regarding internal and external requests for statistical information using Med2020 database, Crystal Report Writer, and Excel. Retrieves and reports required data for Quality Improvement Plan (QIP).
· Uploads, reviews, and re-submits warning/correction reports for CIHI and MoH for comparative reports and data quality.
· Ensures up to date information is maintained in the WinRecs Med2020 database dictionaries.
· Reviews updated DAD and NACRS manuals and CIHI Coding Standards in order to stay current with annual changes.
· Provides backup to Health Records Clerk position, in her absence.
· Prepares and forwards monthly inpatient mortality list to Health Records Clerk.
· Prepares list for QCC physician peer review process as requested.
· Performs daily interfaces for DAD/NACRS (Meditech to Med2020) and ensures all records accounted for and follow up as necessary.
· Observes WHMIS regulations and safely handles hazardous materials.
· Keeps up to date with current hospital programs, Risk Management, WHMIS and Emergency plans.
· Participates in quality initiatives, Risk Management programs and in-service education as appropriate.
WHAT CAN TEMISKAMING HOSPITAL OFFER YOU:
· A competitive compensation package
· Enrollment in the Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan
· A commitment to a diverse, supportive and equitable workplace
· A commitment to a culture of safety and mutual respect that is free from discrimination and harassment
· 24-hour on-site Fitness Center
Please visit www.temiskaming-hospital.com for more information on our Hospital.
Please apply with a detailed resume and cover letter no later than September 29, 2023 to:
Human Resources Department,
Temiskaming Hospital 421 Shepherdson Rd., New Liskeard, ON P0J 1P0 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Temiskaming Hospital thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are committed to championing accessibility, diversity and equal opportunity. Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process provided the applicant has met bona-fide requirements for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.